Pages

February 8, 2010

Project Pepto: Curing Our Space Problems


While we are quite smitten with our house, there are still some quirks we can’t overlook. (Does that mean we would make terrible parents? Are we unable to love unconditionally? Should I be comparing home ownership with parenting? )
The most pressing problem areas:
The closet situation in the “master bedroom:”


In case you are thinking to yourself “what’s she complaining about? this is a normal sized closet” let me clarify. This closet is three feet wide. Oh, and it was the only one in the room. As a result, my clothes were packed in here so tight that if I bought one more item of clothing it would have had to stay in the car. I had sweaters in the linen closet, shoes in the front entry closet, and out-of-season clothes under the bed. Mr.’s clothes were in the guest bedroom closet (equally as large) which turned problematic when we had overnight guests and he had to go traipsing through in his skivvies to get a change of clothes.
The other problem area: the dining room.
I told you the whole house was teal and pink!

Big enough for the table but nothing else. 
The solution?
This room cured heartburn, nausea, indigestion, upset stomach, and...closet space
I know what you’re thinking: this isn’t a solution, it’s another problem (and a pepto colored one at that). Oh yee of little faith. This little room packs a wallop. Within this tiny 7 x 10 footprint hid untapped potential to quiet my seething desire for both a closet AND a dining room. 
Here is a rough sketch of the space before:

and here is the plan:

Phase 1: Close off door to 'pepto' room from the hallway and cut opening for new french doors into master bedroom.
Phase 2: Expand dining room by moving wall two feet into 'pepto' room.
Phase 3: Close off old tiny closet in the master bedroom and open it up on the other side to create a bigger closet for guest bedroom.
Stay tuned for the after pics (yes, I'm tired of these pastel before pics too!) from the recent completion of phase 1: the master closet. For a sneak peek look here.

P.S. These lovely ladies have been so kind to mention us:   
Carolyn at My Backyard Eden featured our bathroom renovation on a recent post. Thanks Carolyn!
Kimba at A Soft Place to Land included us in this post. Thanks Kimba!
Head on over to their blogs to check out the other great projects they featured.

5 comments:

Brie said...

Looks like a great plan for gaining some extra space where it's much needed. Don't know what the prior owners were thinking when they chose finish colors!

Blondie's Journal said...

What a great idea!! The new closet can double as a dressing room!! I had some really good laughs over this post, especially the Pepto pink room. What a perfect match!! And I really don't know what the builder was thinking with 3 foot wide closets. They make mine look big. And by the way...my closet is in the den. Talk about running around in your underwear!! :-)

xoxo
Janie

Heather Henderson said...

your solution is exactly what I would have done. can't wait to see the results.

The Brick Cottage said...

I just popped over from the Lettered Cottage and am so excited to have found your blog. I also own a 1945's cottage and I've already found so much inspiration on your blog. I can't wait to see your converted closet spaces (so jealous!). And I LOVE your bathroom--I plan to copy the beadboard wainscotting when we do a full bathroom reno in about a year or so.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

...

Related Posts with Thumbnails